MAROON ECHO

The Student News Site of Bay Shore High School, Bay Shore, NY

Important Dates
Recent Scores
  • Dec 3 / Boys BasketballBay Shore - 52, Plainview - 45
  • Nov 29 / Boys SwimmingBay Shore - 64, Ward Melville - 80
  • Nov 29 / Girls BasketballBay Shore - 40, Huntington - 36
  • Nov 29 / Girls FencingBay Shore - 10, Half Hollow Hills - 17
  • Nov 29 / Boys FencingBay Shore - 14, Half Hollow Hills - 13

MAROON ECHO

MAROON ECHO

Peer Support Raises Funds for Holiday Giving

The Peer Support Club Annual Car Wash fundraiser was hosted by members to raise funds for families in need this holiday season.

“The car wash allowed me to open up more with others,” said Nataly Quituizaca, junior. “Helping people who arrived at the car wash allowed me to practice my public speaking.”

For the past 13 years, the annual car wash has not only been an important step in providing for those in need, but also brought out the heart of our community.

“It is a great way to connect with the community, bond with fellow peer supporters, and collect donations for the holidays for local families,” stated Dr. Katie Kelly, school social worker and car wash event organizer. “In the future, we hope to involve more parents and family members to make it a true community event. That is the ultimate goal!”

Those who participated in the fundraiser had broken barriers and walked into grounds unfamiliar to them, something they were not able to do before. Students left their comfort zone and discovered that it wasn’t as scary as they first perceived.

“Buying and selling the car wash tickets was actually really easy,” Camryn Clemmings, a sophomore, stated. “I was a little scared at first because I don’t talk to a lot of people, but the environment was so friendly, and it was amazing to be ableto be around everyone.”

Despite the unexpected forecast this year, club members pushed through the rain without problems.

“This is my first year, and it was a lot of fun… Although the weather was definitely unexpected, that didn’t stop us from having a great time,” added Angelica Davis,  sophomore.